Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pregnancy Story Pt.1

Have you seen the movie What to Expect When You're Expecting?  You know that major blockbuster starring Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Elizabeth Banks, and about a hundred other big names?  Well I did.  I made the mistake of watching that within days of finding out I was pregnant.  I had crazy preggo hormones raging and I cried through the whole movie.  I've never cried during a movie, not during Life is Beautiful, The Titanic, or Toy Story 3 (yes, that movie was sad!), but I sat there going through tissue after tissue sobbing over What to Expect When You're Expecting.



Here's how T and I found out we were expecting.  It was another one of T's visits to see me.  We'd been a long distance couple from the start, so his month long visit in September 2012 was not so different.  We had a great time.  We visited my sister, her husband, and my three month old nephew B in New Orleans.  We had our engagement party and invited all our favorite people since we knew they wouldn't be able to make our wedding we had planned for September 2013 in the Netherlands.  T was due to fly back home on a Sunday.  The Wednesday night before then, we went to dinner and I randomly decided to take a pregnancy test.  I didn't think I was pregnant at all, but I just thought I should do it.  It read positive.  I show T and had him read the package and the test.  I didn't believe it, so I decided to take another test the next night, but bought another brand, just incase.  This one also read positive.  I didn't know what to do, so when I don't know what to do, I call my mom.  Duh.  She immediately advised me to call my doctor and take a test there.  I made an appointment the next day, Friday.  The test from the doctor's came back positive as well.  I called my mom back, told her the news and swore her to secrecy.  I wasn't ready to tell anyone.  I needed time to process the news for myself.  I also knew about the risk of a pregnancy failing during the first trimester, so I planned to let friends and family know once the first trimester was through, which happened to be around Christmas.  Sunday came all too quickly and T flew back to the Netherlands.  Monday morning I was on my own and pregnant, that sounds way more dramatic, and T wasn't leaving me.  He was actually over the moon about the news.  But this time saying goodbye at the airport really sucked.  We weren't 100% sure what our plan was anymore and so once he got in line to go through security at Logan Airport, I was about to begin the longest and most challenging nine months of my life.  (Here's a hint:  I did not have the pregnancy experience that Brooklyn Decker's character had in What to Expect When You're Expecting.)


T and I after our engagement party weekend October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment