Friday, August 23, 2013

Fit Friday

I've decided to start making Friday posts "Fit Fridays".  I've seen a bunch of blogs that do a "What I Ate Wednesday"...but I'm going to take it a slightly different direction.  I'm going through a huge life transformation and that's including my health.  I'm hoping to make "Fit Friday" about more than the *hopefully healthy foods I eat that day.  I'm also going to make sure to do some sort of physical activity on Fridays.  Here's my first Fit Friday post!

About the food:
I started off my morning with a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and a little bit of brown sugar cooked in almond milk.  SO good!   Last night we went to T's mom's place for dinner and she surprised us with a sandwich maker/grill!  We were both super excited so we each made a sandwich today for lunch.  Mine was grilled ham, avocado and ketchup and it was delicious!  I also paired it with a mandarine and a glass of iced green tea and citrus.  We got back from grocery shopping a bit later than we expected.  I didn't want to ruin my dinner so I ate a banana for snack.  T cooked some kind of yellow curry with chicken and yellow peppers and onion for dinner.  For dessert I ate a slice of tompouce.  An hour later I got really hungry again...so I ate some Cool Ranch Doritos.  In the NL they are called "Cool American."  I thought that was interesting.  I realize that tompouce and Doritos are not healthy whatsoever, but I never said I was going to go all in and be 100% healthy and cut out all my unhealthy treats!  It's a transformation and takes lots of time.


My seriously delicious lunch!

And now for the fitness:
I've previously shared how much I love my new running shoes and how much I want to get back into the sport.  Like my healthy eating is a slow change, so it the fitness side of things.  As much as I would love to just start running 5Ks in under 30 minutes again, it's been a while.  And by a while I mean well over a year.  I've made the mistake of pushing myself too hard and too soon physically several times before and it just doesn't work very well for my body.  Plus, with a baby, it's hard to have the time alone to go for a run.  So today I strapped E in her carrier and we took a walk for just under 30 minutes.  I wasn't a slacker and walked slowly or anything.  It was a hot sunny day and I walked fast enough where I was increasing my heart rate.  It felt good.  We walked up to the campground I live by, less than a mile away.  I made it there in 10 minutes.  I stopped and talked to some of the horses.  One in particular seemed to need a friend.  He (or she...I know nothing about horses and I'm actually afraid of them) got really close to the fence as I walked by and followed me a bit, so I stopped to chat.  E was asleep, but the horse I think I'll call Stanley, said she looked beautiful.  What a sweet talker!  Stan and I exchanged pleasantries and there was a real connection.  I think we'll be good friends.  I had to head back because I knew we needed to head out for groceries soon so I told Stan I'd be back another time.  I made it back in another 10 minutes.  We also walked to and from the grocery store.  On the way there I followed T as he pushed E in the stroller.  We were going at a pretty good pace, for me anyway.  T has much longer legs than I do and he likes to speed up since it makes me lag behind and I end up having to jog to catch up with him.  On the way back E got super fussy and refused to be in the stroller so T ended up carrying her in his arms as I pushed the stroller full of groceries and the diaper bag all the way home.  


Stanley posing for a picture.  I'm not even kidding, he really did pose.  He wanted me to get his "good side."

No comments:

Post a Comment